I’m currently creating a rosacea healing map, which will become the foundation for an online course I plan on launching in 2023.
Depending on the bio-individuality of the person “going through the map”, several key things will need to be addressed.
The Rosacea Healing Map:
1. Lowering systemic inflammation: a BROAD and complex section that includes many subsections such as:
- Choosing the right diet (a one-size-fits-all diet will NOT heal rosacea, even an anti-inflammatory diet or a cleanse)
- Healing gut dysbiosis
- Addressing nutritional deficiencies, a huge issue for most of my clients
- Identifying, removing, and/or detoxing from environmental aggressors such as mold, and toxic chemicals
- Identifying, removing, and/or detoxing internal aggressors such as viruses, parasites, heavy metal toxicity
2. Nervous system regulation: probably the most important thing to address since stress plays a big role and impacts many different functions in the body
3. Emotional root cause: an often ignored root cause and one we also dive into in our 4-week program Self-Heal
4. Detoxification: this one is a biggie and it has to be done right, otherwise you’ll end up with an even bigger skin crisis! Cleanses and detoxes are uber popular right now, but they are NOT the first place to start if you’re healing a skin “issue”.
5. Optimizing ALL the systems in the body, including neuro, cardio, digestive, immune, and endocrine. Rosacea is not a “skin” issue, treating ONLY the symptoms will have you chase your tail.
To fully heal rosacea, we need to ask “why”: Why is this happening in the body? What is the root cause? Asking key questions enables us to move away from symptom treatment and instead get to the root causes.
Nervous system regulation, the foundation to healing rosacea
As I shared, one of the key foundations to healing rosacea (or any dis-ease) is accessing a parasympathetic state. If you’re constantly in a stressed (sympathetic) state, your body cannot heal.
1. Address past traumas in a safe container such as Self-Heal, Holistic Kinesiology or Somatic healing
2. Implement a morning and evening routine that supports hormonal function
3. Optimize your sleep
4. Use breathwork such as Wim Hoff’s breathing exercises
5. Use heat (saunas) and cold water therapies. Saunas are amazing for detoxification and stress reduction, even if you have rosacea!
6. Vagal toning exercises are a great way to regulate your nervous system and promote a calm, rested state
7. Working with plant medicine that supports and nourishes the nervous system. Nervous system-loving plants are (to name just a few) Avena sativa (oat), Melissa officionalis (Lemonbalm), Ocimum tenuiflorum (Sacred or Holy basil), Scuttelaria lateriflora (American skullcap) or adaptogens such Ashwagandha, Rhodiola rosea (my bestie these days), Reishi, Eleutherococcus senticosus (Siberian ginseng). To get the right dosage and right forms (tea, tinctures, essences) you’ll have to work with a herbalist.
Remember that the best rosacea healing map is one that is customized to your own bio-individuality.
Need guidance on your skin healing journey?
How to heal a compromised skin barrier
A major symptom of rosacea is a compromised skin barrier which results in redness, enlarged pores, dryness and peeling. In one article, rosacea was classified as a disease of “cathelicidins compromising the skin's innate immunity”. Cathelicidin peptides have a unique...
Natural skincare for rosacea
Natural skincare for rosacea A natural skincare routine is key when you’re healing rosacea from the inside-out with proper nutrition and a targeted supplements protocol. But why is it important to choose clean, nontoxic, organic skincare if you have rosacea? As I have...
Natural makeup for rosacea
Natural makeup for rosacea There’s nothing wrong with using natural makeup to cover the rosacea on your skin (notice I didn’t say “your rosacea”?) while you work on internal healing. I remember years ago, when traveling to Toronto, the airline lost my luggage which...
How to stop identifying with rosacea
Identifying with a dis-ease such as rosacea can become a hurdle on your journey to healing. In this post, we're going to dive into why you want to stop identifying with rosacea and how to get about doing that. I wrote this piece for folx who've had rosacea for 5, 10,...
Sunscreen for rosacea
In this article, we're going to cover key things you need to know about sunscreen for rosacea and toxic ingredients you absolutely want to avoid. Should you wear sunscreen if you have rosacea? We have, unfortunately, been brainwashed to fear one of our essential...
Demodex Mites Rosacea Treatment
Rosacea Demodex Mites Natural Treatment If you're looking for a Demodex mites rosacea treatment and want to better understand the root cause or why you have Demodex mites, you're at the right place. After you read this article on the link between Demodex mites and...